Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cost of living




It's been a typical week here at ICMS. Classes most of the time, yoga Monday night, soccer Wednesday night. It's been cloudy these past couple of days as well, and only in the 70's. (I know what you are thinking U.S midwesterners.. brrrr!)

Yesterday I went to the Manly Corso with some of the girls to get off of campus for awhile. I stopped at the post and sent a three postcards and bought 10 postcard stamps ($14.) Then we went to Hungry Jack's for a quick bite to eat - lunch was less than good to be honest. I had a cheeseburger, fries, drink and sundae ($4.95.) Afterward's we stopped in a shop with stationary, newspapers, and school supplies. I bought 10 postcards ($4.) Mardi Gras is this weekend in Sydney so we stopped at a clothing store called ICE to look around. Mary, Jackie and Heather found some sequin dresses, and I found a little dress on a sale rack ($10.) The group then went to a pharmacy with me. In Australia, pharmacies are sometimes called "chemist shops." I have been having a toothache on and off, so I bought some medicine for that ($12.) Soon after that we made our way to Cole's for some snacks. Occasionally, lunch and/or dinner leave me still feeling hungry - especially when they serve something they call "asian dish of pork" or "Scandinavian cold buffet" so I bought a value pac of easy mac, and a couple of packs of ramen noodles as well as some bowls to make them in ($14.80.)

Today I bought my textbook for Intro to Sport ($86) which is the only class I need a textbook in. Same story as the US, I pay 86 dollars for a new but small and paperback textbook. Hopefully I can see it at the end of the term to a local student.

The exchange rate currently is one US dollar to 1.12 Australian dollars. A little in my favor, but not by much!

I just got back from the beach - today is beautiful! :) G'day!

No comments: