Saturday, February 20, 2010

"we've done this before - just like you!"





Yesterday morning I went on a walk with Olivia and Mary to some trails in North Head that have great look out points. Here are just two of many great photos I have. In the afternoon I went to the beach, first time getting burned since I arrived - my back is pretty tender today!

This morning I woke up to get ready for my first day helping out the functions department. I had not idea what to expect except that I was helping out at a lunch for an art club function. Mike was there as well as two experienced hospitality students Rebecca and Phong. I had to wear a white button up shirt and black pants for the function - the department supplied the black vest and tie. I had Mike tie it for me, I had no idea how. We started by making the Grand Dining Room (GDR) ready for the lunch by rearranging tables, placing table cloths, getting the buffet ready, preparing the cash bar, etc. Soon, the guests started arriving (almost all older women) and Tim (the supervisor - quite young though, from Sweden) asked if I had any experience (hahaha - NO!) So he had Mike and I practice how to carry dirty plates to the kitchen and trays of drinks. We didn't get much time to practice. Soon, I was paired up with Rebecca (a very nice girl from South Korea) who was telling me what to do. "Refill their glasses with sparkling wine! Carry this tray and ask if they need any more beverages." At one point one of the older ladies asked if everything was coming along. I just nodded and said yes, and she responded "we've done this before, just like you!" I had to hid my smirk when I was thinking no I've never done this before. Plus, at one point, Nina, the other supervisor (who still can't tell the difference between Mary and I) said "why are the table cloths this way?! we are 5 star, not 3 star." Well if they are really 5 star, I don't think they should have me serving with no experience - but that's besides the point I guess. I learned how to pour champagne, take away multiple plates, serve coffee and tea simultaneously, among other things. One of the guys from soccer Wednesdays, Yumas, was working as well. He is older, he has been a chef for 8 years and is from Turkey. He has complimented me on my defending skills a number of times, which I'm flattered by. He taught me a few things throughout the day and was very helpful and cheery which made the day seem quicker. I was unaware I'd be working from 9 am to 5 pm. At least after the ladies left we got a free meal which was prepared for the lunch, and then we were able to take some wine that was left over from the function. Overall, a successful but tiring day.

At one point Mike and I were asked to polish cutlery for later, and while we were doing that one of the ladies fainted and an ambulance had to be called. Everyone acted so calm about it - a little different from the U.S. Another thing I noticed was when Rebecca and I were looking for table cloths in a closet and she couldn't find them and started saying "Nina is going to kill me!" I mentioned that we could ask where they are, and Rebecca said "see that is the thing with Asians, if we don't know something, we don't say anything and just keeping working." Much different than my attitude of asking TONS of questions when I don't know how to do something. I'd rather ask than do it the wrong way. Very different cultures!!

Tonight I am just relaxing around campus - I can hear music downstairs from a wedding reception that is going on. Mary is working there tonight, apparently wedding work goes from 5 pm to at least 1 am! Tomorrow a group is going into Sydney. I am excited to finally explore the city! We might go to the botanical gardens, the aquarium, chinatown, or the markets - or all of the above! :)

No comments: