Friday, February 12, 2010

the life!

I am up at 8.23 am this morning, and I have no classes to attend. It's hard to sleep in here - mostly because I'm so tired at night from all the activities that I fall asleep so quickly and earlier than I do at home. My body has become used to waking up around 7.30 am it seems. Another reason for this is the birds that are outside of my window. I think one is called the yellow-tailed black cockatoo. Another one sounds like a kookaburra, but kind of like a sheep as well. They are very loud. There are around 80 species of birds just in Manly alone!

Once a week we have to take our sheets and towel down to housekeeping where we are given clean ones to put on our beds. It is interesting how they make their beds here - there is a sheet for your bed (but it isn't fitted like at home.) There is no "top sheet" only a duvet blanket with its cover, and your pillowcase. It's harder to make my bed when the sheet isn't fitted.

Yesterday after laying at the beach I walked around the Corso, which is the strip of Manly that has most of the shops. They have many "surf clothing" shops such as Roxy, Billabong, Hurley, and Quiksilver, but also many souvenir shops and clothing shops. I found a deal on a cute skirt and swim cover up for 20 dollars (I knew my father would be proud.)

Last night I went on a run with Mike. I had yet to explore the rest of the top of the hill, so we ran the other way from Manly. There is a road that takes you to one of Sydney's national parks - so we ran along there. At one stop it is perfect to see the sunset over Manly, and we made it just in time to watch. The site was beautiful, and I can't wait to go back with my camera! I don't think any of these postcard-perfect sights will ever get old!!

Tonight is the famous "Icebreaker" party at ICMS. It starts at the CYC (court yard cafe) and at 1030 they have a bus to take us down the the Sheyne Hotel on the Corso for the after party. Should be a blast!!

No comments: