Thursday, March 11, 2010

functions department meeting

I just got back from the functions department meeting. It started at 9 am and only lasted about 45 minutes. They are weekly meetings, and they consist of going over the functions for the next week or so. Those present were Yvette (head of functions), Nina (works in functions), two chefs (one being the head operations chef), Head of maintenance, Daneill and Tim (event supervisors), and Sandra (I wasn't quite sure what department she was from). Basically, Yvette ran the meeting and went through the packet of events throughout the next week, who was running them, how much food, and reminding everyone of the details. This next Tuesday is going to be really busy with two different events, one of the first and one on the second floor - both have bands but they have made it very clear that they don't want to hear outside noise... that'll be tough to manage! Also, one of those events on Tuesday has "singing waiters" where they dress up like ICMS staff for the beginning of the event, and then break out into song later on. Overall, it was really interesting to see the other side of the event, how they are planned and who is behind everything.


A side note: I have a balcony outside of my window. My first question when my RA showed me my room at the beginning of the semester was "Can I go out there?" The answer is no - it is out of bounds and we will get "infringed" if we go out there. Well, fine, but then why do the tourists get to go out there? I sit at my desk working and skyping and I look up and see the backs of many people all taking pictures off of my balcony. Occasionally they turn and look at me - it's quite a caged animal feeling! The first time that it happened a couple people took pictures. Caption "girl hard at work?" or maybe "girl talking to herself" since I was skyping my mom at the time.

Working for the weekend today by writing my sport management paper!! :) more soon, as always!!

No comments: