Saturday, March 6, 2010

"right and wrong"

Last night I helped with the functions department. We set up for a wedding of 85 people in the Great Hall. Tim was the supervisor, and I worked with a girl named Pia for the majority of the night. She was really nice and taught me a lot even though she didn't have to. Most of the night we spent polishing all kinds of cutlery, water glasses, and wine glasses. We talked about our home countries and school - she is from Sweden and one of the things she misses most is the changing of seasons since she has been here about two years! I didn't really think about that since I think it is so nice here, getting away from the winter weather of the midwest. Emre helped us polish after awhile because there were so many glasses to get done, and he constantly was saying "right and wrong!' We asked him why, and he said his uncle would always say that, and we needed to compliment ourselves. He was quite funny and then continually told us what a great job we were doing. I vacuumed the dancefloor as well, which was a nice change from the three and a half hours of polishing. Because we finished within four and a half hours, we each got a bottle of wine - except each worker gets that as a "bonus" except for me, that is my only payment! Oh well, at least it's something.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the coordinator of USA students, Amy, to find a dentist I could go to. I walk to her office, and no one was to be found. As I walked away, I ran into her. I said "Oh I was just looking for you!" And she said "Oh, you didn't look for me this morning did you? I had an emergency dental appointment." I told her that's why I was coming to find her. She then told me that the day before she had "bitten into a spring roll and part of her tooth broke off." I didn't know spring rolls were that hard, but whatever. So she told me how the dentist had temporarily fixed it, but a permanent fix would cost her 2000 dollars and she didn't have the money, etc. How lovely. So I told her that I needed a dentist for my tooth, and we looked up the insurance that covers the US students. The list of what it does NOT cover is about 2 -3 times as long as what it does cover, typical. And of course, it does not cover dental. She called a few different offices in our school to find who the dentist is that the school recommends, but of course no one answers. Soon, she got a call back from Tony, a very nice man who runs Student Services. They talked for a minute and Amy wrote down the name of the dentist. Once she was off the phone, she told me that Tony's tooth had fallen out while he was eating lunch, and he was holding it in his hand. At this point, their dental care really sounds promising to me, but nonetheless, I was able to make an appointment at a dentist in Manly for Wednesday at 2. I'm kind of nervous to go to a different dentist, especially in a different country, but it will be worth it if the pain stops!

Today, I woke up with a cold. I'm not too excited about that either! Mike and I are going to Oceanworld, and aquarium in Manly, and then shopping for cold medicine and going out to eat. Hopefully the medicine helps!!

Cheers!

No comments: