Saturday, March 20, 2010

lady gaga & beyond!








before the main event wednesday: I had my follow up dentist appointment. I got right into the dentist, and Dr. Kim was pleased to hear that my tooth had not been hurting, and he did a quick test to make sure the nerve was still alive in the tooth. After that was done he numbed up my mouth and put in a permanent filling so that the filling does not become loose from my tooth. He thinks that the filling should last until I get home or even longer, but if something happens I will eventually have to get a root canal. Knock on wood that my tooth stays nice and healthy until I go home at least!

I came back to school and quickly got ready before walking to the wharf and getting on the ferry with Mary, Olivia, Jessa, Kaleigh, and Chelsea. After what seemed like a very quick ferry ride, we were in Sydney and walking to Darling Harbour. We stopped there to have subway for dinner, which was delicious! There are wooden steps that people sit on surrounding the harbour, so we sat there to eat our sandwiches. Unfortunately, the seagulls swarm the area when people feed them, and at one point a seagull flew by and hit my sandwich!! Tried to take it right out of my hand. They are very brave and annoying birds, but luckily I won out that time. (picture 1: on the ferry - picture 2: outside of Sydney Entertainment Centre)

Soon our group made our way over to the Sydney Entertainment Centre, where the concert was held. We made a few friends along the way, and Mary, Olivia and I even got interviewed by Novatel, a local broadcasting company. Mary may have said that we came all the way from the U.S. just to see Lady Gaga... we are great people to interview!! Mary, Olivia and I soon found out seats which were pretty high up, but we still had a great view of the stage. The theater was really big and very clean. I bought a couple of drinks and they were not that expensive, unlike some venues in the US where drinks are priced much more than normal.

The opening band was "Semi Precious Weapons." Apparently, Lady Gaga used to open for them in New York before she became famous. Also, one of the members of the band is my dad's lawn guy's son. Small world! The lead singer was wearing a dress and heels (and he was a guy). Also, he changed his outfits on stage, right behind a speaker! He was nuts! Overall, they were pretty good and definitely excited for Lady Gaga and pumped up the crowd as well. (picture 3 - Semi Precious Weapons)

Lady Gaga took the show for sure! Costumes, tons of stage props, many back up dancers, crazy lights and decorations - I would definitely describe the event as more of a show than a concert for sure. (pictures 4 &5: Lady Gaga) Her songs definitely make me want to dance and dance we did! My absolute favorite song (even though they were all great!) was "Bad Romance" which was the final song she performed. It definitely reminded me of my best friend at home, Katelyn, and how we had sang the song in the car together over winter break! What was different from US concerts was that as soon as the last song was performed, everyone just started pouring out of the exits, and no one really tried to request an encore. All three of us were pretty surprised by that! We hurried back to the ferry (but also managed to stop at McDonald's for cheeseburgers and mcflurries first) and took a late night ferry ride home.

What a day I had yesterday! Just a typical Friday, no classes as usual. After a delicious lunch of fish and chips at the CYC, I headed down to the beach with a few friends to lay out and soak up the sun. We were there for a few hours. At one point Mary and I ventured into the water - the waves were great yesterday and there were a good amount of surfers out and about! At one point creepy hairy man in a yellow speedo approached me to tell me that I needed to stay inside the flags - which I basically was!! Sigh - creepers. Scary moment of the day.

Because I had checked the menu for dinner, and it was some Indonesian dish I could not even pronounce, I suggested getting dinner at the Corso. After walking around the shops for a little while, we went to a pizza place across from the wharf called "La Casa." Definitely reminded me of La Casa from Albion - and miss the margaritas a little! Mary and I ordered a pepperoni pizza and garlic bread. We only had to wait ten minutes before the pizza was ready. Kaleigh, Olivia, Mary and I walked over to the wharf area and put our towels on the grass to have a pizza picnic! It was so relaxing just looking out at the wharf, eating pizza and chatting. I got a cookies and creme shake from copenhagen and we walked back through the Corso, along Manly beach where we found a man doing karate/tae bo in a speedo. We stopped to watch for a few minutes of course. Then we walked back to campus. I love it here, being able to just walk along the beach at night with friends. It was one of those very content afternoons that make me really appreciate being here in Manly.



Tomorrow the school is sponsoring a trip to the Blue Mountains. I'm really excited to go - I hear they are beautiful! As for today, I'll be writing a paper and staring longingly at the Beach. Don't feel bad for me (haha, as if anyone in the midwest would) but I've been to the beach the past two days! Cheers for now.

No comments: