Sunday, April 25, 2010

An Afternoon at the Races










Yesterday, I went to the Randwick Race Courses with a group of friends for the Sydney Cup race. It was family day at the Randwick Autumn Carnival. Unlike a lot of my friends, I've been to the horse races before with my best friend Katelyn and her family, so I knew somewhat what to expect. Everyone looked great all dressed up as we made our way to the races by ferry and then bus.

It was incredibly crowded at the horse races, especially as the day went on. There were eight races total, and we got there right after the first one. There were a lot of stands to sit in, but there was also a large grassy area with food and drink tents and a lot of tables for people to sit at. We made our way towards the front of the lawn area and sat at the front tables. We were able to stand at the front gates and see the end of each of the races. It was the perfect place to be for the afternoon!

The races were even more thrilling than I remembered. At first, my friends and I would just pick numbers of horses to see who could win. As the horses would near the end of each race, the people around us (almost all had money placed on the horses) would start yelling and jumping up and down for their horse. It was pretty exciting, so Mike and I decided to join in on the fun. For race 5, we each put down 5 dollars on number 9 to place. It was a two lap race, and as it started I was wondering how much I relied on Mike's ability to pick a horse! For a long time, number 9 was in first place!! We were both yelling, but I thought Mike was going to jump into the race course to help the horse go faster! At the end, number 9 (named Monaco Consul) ended in third, so we made $17.50! The betting was thrilling, but not something that I would want to do that often. I like keeping my money safe... I guess I'm not much of a gambler!

Overall, the day at the races was really fun, and I'm glad I decided on going. Of course, the only reason I went was because the tickets were 2 for 1. It definitely is a high class place where many Australians go to have a good time and (try) to make some money! I'm happy to have come out a winner... a whole $3.75 more! My friend Ashley's boyfriend Pete was really into betting and lost quite a few times, but he did win once with a horse named "Jessicabeel." This made him quite happy, to say the least! I did learn that you can bet on a horse to win, or just to place, but if you bet to place, it wasn't as much money. I feel like I learnt some at the races as opposed to just making money! :)

No comments: