Today, April 25th, is Anzac Day. Anzac Day is very similar to the U.S. Memorial Day. I asked an Australian friend, Sheridan, in class what Anzac Day is all about. Her response: "Well it honors the soldiers who have fought and died for us in the different wars. When you are little you normally march in a parade around town. When you're older, you normally drink a lot the night before because you don't have to go to work." This is when I obviously made the connection to Memorial Day.
I took Anzac Day as a day for relaxation (because life here is obviously stressful). Apparently, normal autumn temperatures have begun, as it was only in the sixties and everyone complained of the cold at mealtime as we sat outside to eat. Because I hadn't left the castle all day, I knew I would want to venture to the Corso in the evening for something. Normally, my friends and I would go down to the Corso for an ice cream cone, but I had an idea to go to Max Brenner's in the wharf for a cup of hot cocoa. Olivia, Jackie, Heather, Mary and I sat in Max Brenner's and drank "American Marshmellow Chocolate" which was delicious! Afterwards, we noticed that the Chat Thai place across the way was having a celebration. Mary and I decided to get pad thai for a snack later on in the night, and we stood in a long line to wait. They had balloon decorations, and two workers were blowing whistles and banging on tambourines. Every time someone ordered, that person got to draw a coupon from a box. The box contained "free" coupons which meant you got your meal free, or coupons for 10, 20, or 50 dollars off, or just "pay" slips where you essentially got nothing. I ended up drawing a $20 voucher as the two girls said "Steph free or pay, free or pay..."
After getting the pad thai, the girls and I headed out to the beach. Mary came up with a fun game where we each wrote our own name in the sand, and then we all went around and wrote words that described each other. It was definitely a "feel good" game, and made me appreciate my study abroad friends even more! I cannot believe that in less than two weeks I won't be seeing a lot of these people for an indefinite amount of time. I've made some outstanding friends here who I have shared so many memories with. We will have to see what is in store for the next two weeks! Of course, that is all the activities besides studying for my four finals. No worries, mate!!
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment