Saturday, April 3, 2010

parasailing in Manly cove!!







Easter break started yesterday! Some friends of mine left to go on weekend trips, but I am here at school with a few friends just relaxing and taking advantage of the long weekend. I spent Thursday evening with Mary, Ashley, Mike, and a new friend Corbin playing card games pretty much the whole night. It was really fun and quite relaxing.

Yesterday I had the amazing opportunity to go parasailing in Manly Cove with Mary!! Mary, Ashley (our photographer for the afternoon), and I arrived at Manly wharf around 11.45 to wait for the parasailing boat. We could see them out in the cove. The sky was incredibly clear, and while it was a little windy, the weather was great! After waiting awhile, the boat came back to the dock and the people who had gone before us got out of the boat. Of course a couple of teenage boys walked by and said "that was the scariest experience of my life" - I'm sure they said that just to scare us! Of course, I was pretty nervous. I really don't like heights at all, but parasailing seemed harmless enough.

We got on the boat with one other couple and quickly we were out in the harbor! The couple went first, and seeing them up there made me really excited to get to go! There time went by really fast, and before I knew it Mary and I were getting strapped in to the parasail. We had to wear life jackets and these harnesses around our waist and thighs that hooked into the parasail, so it kind of seemed like a swing. Also, if anything was to happen to the cord that connected us to the boat, the instructor told us we would just float down to the water with the parasail. That statement alone made me feel a lot safer!!

The cord attaching us to the boat began to lengthen and we were soon high in the air! No words or pictures can describe the amazing views that Mary and I saw while we were up there. The water looked like it sparkled with the sun, and we could see ICMS easily! One of the coolest things was just being able to see all of Manly and the ocean on the other side of the Corso. Because Mary and I had been so anxious and excited to get up to the top, we didn't tell the instructors if we wanted to get wet or not, and I'm really glad we didn't tell them anything because getting dunked in the water was great! At first as we get lower and lower to the water, I was nervous that it would hurt to smack the water and then be lifted up high very quickly, but it was really gentle and fun! That was deceiving for the next time though, because I wasn't nervous at all, and wow did the water hit us!! We both got slapped in the face with the straps, but it was more funny than painful. Overall, we got dunked four different times which made the ride even more exhilarating.

Soon, we were getting lowered back into the boat. Like everything, the ride seemed incredibly fast, but also totally worth it. I am so glad I didn't let my worry of heights hold me back from parasailing with Mary, because it was definitely an experience of a lifetime, and now we can always say that we parasailed in Australia!! It really could not have been better.

No comments: